Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

The end of my lease came up and requires a 60 day notice. I…

Customer Question
The end of my...

The end of my lease came up and requires a 60 day notice. I spoke with the leasing manager and we agreed on a price lower than the letter, Renewal for 8,12,14 months was 1439 special rate, we agreed on $1415. I wanted a 12 month lease with a special all in early termination after 6 months, she said no problem. All of this took place in June and my lease expires Aug 31. I have asked for my lease on at least 2 occasions since June. I went in to pay the rent today. I was told that rate was not approved, I was told there are no 8 or 12 month leases on 13 months and I had to reserve those. I was also told there is no early termination all in and early termination will cost about $5,000. Now its too late to move and the 60 day notice is past. I am screwed because they lied to me and dragged out the delivery of the lease. I am very angry and just want to move. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Landlord-tenant law varies by city and state. Where is the property located?

Houston, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have paid the rent every month on time for 12 months, We have a severe roach problem and they have exterminated at least 3 times in the last 3 months,

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Terms of lease 14 months from June 1 2016 to Aug 31, 2017. At Least 60 day move out cancellation notice before the end of the lease. Or renewal. Renewal letter was received June 15th, Offered special rate of $1439 per month for 8, 12, 14 months.
Current lease rate is 1399 per month. Went in June 28 to discuss lease. Agreed on $1415 per month for 12 months, with an all-in cancellation after 6 months. Basically she told me if I pay 85% of the monthly amount plus $500, and give 60 days notice I can move with no repercussions. Today the guy tells me I have to pay every month until the apartment is released. Could be 3 months, better figure on $5,000 if I move early. Now Aug 2, too late to cancel and too late to move without penalties and they will sue me for Sept rent.
Steve
I can send you the letter.
bigger
Letter received June 27, discussed with leasing manager when I paid July rent, July 2nd
Thanks Steve
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to read your post and formulate a response.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago

I am sorry to hear about the difficult situation you find yourself in. I am not sure I will be able to provide an accurate answer, so I am opting out so that another attorney may provide assistance.

ok do you need additional info?
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer