Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My daughter,, is a tenant in St. Louis. Her lease expires at…

Customer Question
My daughter, Kimberly, is...

My daughter, Kimberly, is a tenant in St. Louis. Her lease expires at the end of September, but she has chosen to move to another location with her friends. She is current on her lease. A few days ago, Kimberly moved some of the items from her current apartment and moved it to the new location. Apparently, the landlord saw her moving and changed the locks. She had already explained to them what she was doing. She still planned to pay the lease. They say they changed the locks because maintenance saw her moving. All of her stuff had not yet been removed from the property. It appears to me it's a strong-arm tactic to prevent her from moving without paying, but that's not going to happen anyway. I am a co-signor on the lease and I would pay if she couldn't or didn't. The tactic upset Kimberly. She hasn't been back in the apartment. She's worried that her books and other property might have been removed. So, in any case, they say they changed the locks for maintenance and she can get new keys if she comes by the office. I don't like these people. They gave her no notice before changing the locks. Can I take advantage of their actions by claiming they self-evicted her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what she is going through. They had no legal basis to change the locks and they do need to allow her entry and provide her with a new set of keys. Even if she was moving out, she has a legal right and interest and the use of the rental as long as she is paying rent. Even if she was not, they could not use self help to get her out. As far as suing, you could, only if they do not cure and remedy this. If they are going to provider her with a keys and access, there would be no basis to sue. However, if items are missing, then she could sue them for their actions and damages suffered.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.