Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I own a property with 5 apartments and 1 commercial store.

Customer Question

Hello - I own a property with 5 apartments and 1 commercial store. The lease states : “Landlord is responsible for paying water and sewer utility charges for the premises; Tenant shall be responsible for paying for all other utilities serving the demised premises, and Tenant shall place all such other utility services in Tenant's name upon commencement of the Lease. Tenant agrees to pay the difference in water bills considered "excessive".” I understand this is worded poorly. Our issue is we have 1 water meter servicing property. So we have no real way of knowing what the tenant is using. Do we have any options within the law to ask for a dollar amount?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello - Are you licensed in NJ and familiar in NJ Landlord/Tenant law?