Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Do you know about landlord tenant laws in MA. In

Customer Question
Do you know about...

Do you know about landlord tenant laws in MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

In Massacuetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I refuse to rent to a person that has a conviction for assault and battery

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

It is illegal to refuse to rent to someone because of their membership in a protected class, such as race, religion, ethnicity, etc.

Being convicted of assault and battery does not confer any protected status and you can refuse to rent to them without liability.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered you your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!