Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My condo was rented and there was a fire. If it is

Customer Question
determined that the fire was...
My condo was rented and there was a fire. If it is determined that the fire was caused by my tenant and the damages exceed my policy limits, can we get the additional cost to repair from the tenants liability policy??
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: one year lease prepared by an attorney.
JA: Landlord-tenant law varies by city and state. Where is the property located?
Customer: Long Island, NY
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just an answer about the initial question
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Yes, if the fire was due to the tenant's negligent or intentional act then they are liable for the damages and you can sue them. Their liability policy would cover damage to your building due to their negligence.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer