Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord died in April of 2016. I have been paying rent…

Customer Question
My landlord died in...

My landlord died in April of 2016. I have been paying rent to his mother. She kept the money and by not making the payment to the bank, the house went into foreclosure. There was a sheriff sale last month and it went back to the bank. This place needs a lot of work and I have done a lot of work to it. I almost moved all my things out but moved some things and myself back in because I have no where to go. I'm a 63 yr old male with congestive heart failure. I've signed up for SS disability and waiting for my first check. I'd like to buy it but it's not worth what it's financed for and I have no credit but I have some cash. What are my rights?? Please help me !!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Indiana, and nothing has been filed on my behalf

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/1/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What is the bank selling the home for? How much can you afford?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
69,900 is what the loan balance was and what they are expecting..
I would like to make an offer of 30,000 max because it needs so much work.
I have 10,000 cash with no income what so ever and waiting for my first check from SS disability.

Thank you for the reply. You can speak with the bank, if they own it at this time and make them an offer that reflects the market value of it. The issue which you may face is the ability to obtain a loan from a bank / a mortgage. Even if they were to accept your offer of $30,000 and you put $10,000 down, you need to get a mortgage for the other$20,000 and I am not sure if that would happen with your SS, so you need to speak with a mortgage broker first and see what you qualify for.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!