TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My former friend retired and moved to another state 8 years

Customer Question

My former friend retired and moved to another state 8 years ago. There was an antique bed she did not want to take wither
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: with her or pay to store ( she had more room in her new home than I had in mine). She asked us to store it for her in our 2 bedroom home and our daughter could use it so we said yes. 5 years ago our daughter moved out and we had her take the bed as I had other uses for the room. Our daughter is still using the bed. Now she wants us to contact her daughter who now wants the antique bed and
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: so her daughter can make arrangements for it to be picked up in California and shipped to Virginia. No contract was signed, she could have paid for storage, or had it go with her when I helped her move. Her daughter is an attorney. I have been texting her to let her know we are no longer in possession and our daughter is still using the bed and we will let them know when it is no longer being used. She has now become threatening, what are our rights?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If I understand the facts correctly, you agreed to store the bed for your friend, but your friend did not abandon the bed or otherwise indicate that she didn't want it, and now the friend wants it back. If those are the facts, then your daughter must give the bed back. Unfortunately, the fact that your daughter is using the bed is irrelevant. You would only have a case to keep the bed if the friend indicated that she no longer wanted the bed and was giving it to you permanently.

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)