How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 5266
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking to sue my roommate. He has not paid his half if

Customer Question

Hi. I am seeking to sue my roommate. He has not paid his half if the rent and is not complying. I have tried to speak to the rental office to get my name off the lease and I was informed documents need to be signed. He is not trying to comply with sigbing the documents to get my name off the lease. What can I do?
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: It's a written agreement we signed with the management company
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I reported to the rental office but I haven't filed anything as of yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Thank you
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. You can sue your roommate for unpaid rent, but according to one of my most trusted sources, “You can sue your cotenant (roommate) in small claims court...for the unpaid rent—but to win your case, you will need to show that you had an agreement as to how much each of you would contribute to the total rent.” Therefore, if the both of you agreed that you would split the rent 50-50, then anything that you paid above your share you could sue for. You would just have to prove that the two of you made this agreement. You can use any written agreements that you have, or you can try to persuade with your oral testimony if you had no written agreement. You may also provide a lot of other information such as any bank statements or cancelled checks to prove your case.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?