Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Montgomery County Md Agreed to and received a

Customer Question
I live in Montgomery...

I live in Montgomery County Md Agreed to and received a lease for a townhome that was to be signed Tuesday with Security Deposit and first months rent. The Landlord's agent emailed me the lease to bring Tuesday with the cashiers checksrto sign. I have prior written approval from the agent that the lease was approved. There is one owners name on the lease emailed to me last week. The agent emailed me yesterday and said the second owner (I didn't know there was a second owner) did not approve the lease .. We are scheduled to sign Tuesday and move in Saturday Is there any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written agreement on terms and security deposit etc.... 2 year lease. Lease was emailed to me last week to be signed Tuesday

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I just want to move in ...Movers have packed....and move date scheduled

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it. Thanks.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, since you never signed the agreement, even though the agent sent you approval, if there was a second owner, if they object before the lease is signed, they can kill the lease. Since this is a lease involving real estate and no payment had been accepted yet, the second owner can still refuse the lease and you would have to try to sue the owner who agreed to the lease without the other owner's consent and seek damages you now will incur based upon your detrimental reliance on his promise to rent to you.
So your recourse is only to sue the one party who agreed and promised you the lease and seek damages from them, but you could not force them to honor the lease without the second owner.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.