How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 5335
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to know if there is a way to get a felon in section 8

Customer Question

need to know if there is a way to get a felon in section 8 housing
JA: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?
Customer: no i have not, however, she is being denied access to live with me
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. If she is being bored, it may be dependent upon the kind of felony of which she was convicted. Sex offenders that are on a registry and those that produce meth or going to be permanently barred from section 8 housing. The same goes for illegal drug use. The same goes for violate crimes. The trouble is is that, each PHA can choose to impose stricter standards about admitting people with criminal histories than federal law requires.

One of the things that you can do is how the Housing Authority look at the mitigating factors of her situation. According to one of my most trusted sources, “Most Public Housing Authorities give credit to letters of support from your parole or probation officer, employer, social worker, treatment program or current landlord that show you are a responsible tenant and have put your past behind you.

If she hasn’t tried those things, then she might be able to get in.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?