Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I have been living in a house I love a little house in Cayce

Customer Question

Hi... I have been living in a house I love a little house in Cayce South Carolina beliefs was supposed to be given to me when I paid my rent on the 15th of this month there had been a pipe or something coming up in the floor and when I contacted my landlady she said she would send somebody over and she didn't so today she called me and said she was on her way over she wanted to look at the floor
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: When I came in when she came in she had an envelope in her hand I figured it was my lease she looked at the floor and she told me that the house has had termite issues and that I had 30 days to vacate because she had to work down the home we've never had an ill word she's actually been quite nice but I was quite stunned and now I cannot find another place to live
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I really appreciate your help Pearl it's in Cayce South Carolina she actually let me stay here for a month for free because I had move down for Massachusetts over the Columbia South Carolina and I was living in a place where the landlady again didn't give me a lease and she has in fact kept my $850 the very first landlady upon hearing this because this rental was a referral she let me stay and get my things into this house and after decorating buying a washing machine and keeping the property in the utmost condition today I got this bad news
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There has not been a lease and I got something today from her when she came in that says to whom it may concern recall and that word is underlined
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I was asking her if there was a way I could stay for an extra couple of weeks so I could find something she is giving me to the end of August even though my rent goes from the 15th to the 15th of the month
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I was served something today called a recall the lady that I've been running for came over because there was a has-been a lump in my floor and she said without even seeing it that it was termites that she had to have the whole floor ripped up handed me an envelope which I thought was a lease and it turned out to be something called a recall with 30 days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was floored because she rented it to me on a referral was to be bringing me over the lease on the 15th of August I'm sorry of September 5th July did not bring the lease and I've been waiting for her to do it I've never damaged the home it's in beautiful condition I've decorated it quite lovely very quiet single person no partying I'm 63 years old and I'm going to be out on the street and I don't know what to do I offered to go and stay in a hotel until she had this termite thing taken care of and she said no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is anyone here

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, if there is no written lease, then such tenant would be considered to have a month to month tenancy, which can be ended by the landlord at any time, but landlord providing tenant with a 30 day written month to month termination notice.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.