Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a duplex in Wisconsin. My tenant moved May 31,2017…

Customer Question
I have a duplex...

I have a duplex in Wisconsin. My tenant moved May 31,2017 and I rented to new tenant July 15th my new tenant is trying to get internet service but prior tenant did not cancel it and att&t refuses to open them account without prior tenants permission. Last tenant is very unstable for att&t called her and she admitted she doesn't live there but to get back at me the Landlord will not cancel and att&t shared she is past due. How can prior tenant still have right to internet at my place when she does not live there and is stopping my nes tenant from getting that service? What do you suggest I did call att&t and confirmed new tenant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No they moved out May 31, 2017 and I did return security deposit in June 2017

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/29/2017
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Prior tenant has no right to the service. AT&T must adjust it.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.Counsel can also make the demand. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up