S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

My mother just became a paraplegic through a spinal cord

Customer Question

My mother just became a paraplegic through a spinal cord surgery. She has to come and live with me but I have no elevator in my apartment building. They have other buildings with elevators. Can I make them give me a different unit?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She is in the hospital now, due to be released to me in the middle of August. Everything is documented at the hospital of course as to what happened to her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 months ago.

If your mother is approved as a tenant, they will be required to grant her reasonable accommodations, and such accommodations might include a different apartment. The accommodation would be for her, not for you, and they are not required to let you out of your lease. However, if she needed the accommodation of you living with her, that might be sufficient to justify the accommodation of switching your apartment. Have you already asked for a new apartment and been turned down? If so, you may want to contact your local legal aid office and ask for them to write a letter to the complex, explaining that your request is a reasonable accommodation and that they must comply. Do you have any other questions?