How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem with a person that I used to subrent an

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a problem with a person that I used to subrent an apartment for short periods in the last 4 years, He is a german guy and lived for 1 or 2 months paying 120$ per day. Last October 2016 he stayed until April 5th and he didn't pay the last 2 months. He left the apartment and left a set of keys keeping with him a second one (he wrote me that he would have sent the socond set of keys). I had to change the lock. After three months he realized that i had to evict him and reclaimed residency. He came with the police that forced me to give him the keys and he started to live there again without paying the rent. I sent a 3 days notice and he was served with the summons. The agreement is oral and i have a text message from him asking me if he could pay 120$ pe rnight. He answer to my summons saying that I have to ask only what I pay to my landlord. I asked the housing rent control office and they told me that since the building is not under rent control I can ask any price more than what I pay to my landlord. Can you help me ? I would like to have a clear vision about this very unfortunate situation. Pratically I'm paying the rent for this person !!! He reclaims also that he had medical expenses. Is it better to go to trial or just send him a 30 days notice to vacate and end the oral agreement? Tahnk you so much
JA: While you were absent from the US, did you keep your job with a US employer? Did your immediate family remain in the US?
Customer: I was in Los Angels just in another apartment It is only an oral agreement for short periods
JA: Where is the property located?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no written permission to subrent but just oral. So I would like to know if I say to my landlord the situation maybe i can give 30 days notice to leave the apartment and he can get action against this delinquent person. Is that an option?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
You can sue your subtenant. You can collect what is owing. Landlord can also do so.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you mean I have to sue him not just follow the procedure to evict him? I need a good lawyer.