Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I was living in an Apartment community in Miami, FL from Dec

Customer Question
Hello,I was living in an...
Hello,I was living in an Apartment community in Miami, FL from Dec 2013- 2014, I then renewed the lease for one more year until 2015 Dec. Along with me there was one more person on the lease. During 2015 May, when I was out of town, my other roommate friends visited and I do not know what actually happened we received an eviction notice asking us to vacate the house within 1 week. My roommate friends handed over the keys to the management around June 15, 2015.Now I am trying to lease an apartment and during the background check, the past due hit my credit report and it went to the collection agency. I contacted the previous apartment community and the collection agency on Friday last week and I got the breakdown of the charges on this week tuesday. The apartment community kept uncollected rent for the remaining term of the lease that is $11,683.87 and also they added the lease agreement not fulfilling which is $1,200.00. Besides that, the community charged us with other fines, which totaled to $15,065.12. They are saying that they discounted the rent for few months and they want us to pay $8,918.48.I would like to know my options and how do I proceed further on this.Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney who is admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. One of the easiest things that you could do is try to negotiate about the remaining balance. It might be a quick way for you to be able to just settle this matter if you have the cash without having to send a bunch of letters or go through any kind of legal hoops.

If you have questions about the amount of the debt or how the debt was collected, then you may want to look to the fair debt collection practices Act. Under the fdcpa, generally, debt collectors must follow certain rules if there is a debt that you owe. One of those rules is that the debt must be accurate and they must provide verification of the debt as well. If they fail to do so, then they're going to be in violation of the fdcpa.

The amount that the landlord said is wrong, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. This means that they would have to reduce the amount that they said that you owed as a result. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Okay, i would like to know if I really owe $8,918.48 for the charges? and also I asked the apartment community for the lease agreement and they said they sent it to the storage. What are my options now?

If the $8,918.48 is valid, then yes you would owe it. However, these amounts are always negotiable and you would only all that amount if the landlord was able to prove it. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to get a copy of the lease. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. Did you have any other questions for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer