barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I own an industrial building and I signed a lease with the

Customer Question

I own an industrial building and I signed a lease with the tenant. The tenant has not given me the deposit nor the rent. The lease agreement states that deposit and the rent are due upon signing
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

I have read your comments but I am not sure what your question is?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I cancel the lease
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't want to pay an extra $59 for a phone call when I already paid 46

You can't cancel the lease, but the tenant is in breach of the contract and you would be under no legal obligation to give them access to the building or keys until they paid the full amount of the rent and the deposit.

.

If they don't pay those amounts as of the date that the lease was supposed to start, you can send them a written demand letter stating that they are in breach and you are terminating the agreement due to their failure to perform.

.

Those phone call offers are not generated by me, but rather by the JustAnswer website. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In the demand letter do I have to give them a certain amount of time to perform or can I just send a letter like you mentioned terminating the agreement They are already one day past the date they are required to pay me.

No, you just declare them in breach and state that you are terminating the contract due to their failure to perform. When one party breaches a contract that relieves the other party from any further performance ..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much