How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 5295
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lease, i have a rental lease with just my signature

Customer Question

i have a lease
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: i have a rental lease with just my signature on it. my boyfriend lives with me and his name is ***** ***** the lease without his signature. i want him out. how do i do that?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: domestic violence 7 months ago. nothing since then
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just want him out and i need full custody of our 2 children
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One of the things that you could do is file a restraining order. Restraining orders are civil orders issued by a court that says that people like your boyfriend or not allowed to approach you 4 any reason for certain amount of time. Generally, you can just go to your local courthouse, go to the Civil Division which is usually on the first floor of the courthouse, and then ask for the paperwork to file a restraining order. Oftentimes, your local cord may also have the forms that you need online as well so you don't have to go to the court until you're ready to file the paperwork. Usually, a judge will grant a restraining order immediately and then require you and the other person you want to be restrained to come back for a hearing at a later date to determine whether the restraining order needs to be extended for several years. Another thing that you should consider is that if you are a victim of domestic violence, and a landlord by law is usually required to let you out of your lease even if it's just for a limited amount of time. Victims of domestic violence receive it special protection under the law and you should speak with your landlord about being able to leave and find a place without having to worry about being subject to collections.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?