LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

We have a lease on an apt and there is mold in the bathroom

Customer Question

we have a lease on an apt and there is mold in the bathroom ceiling after talking to the previous renter it has been there for at least two years and the owner has just painted over it. Can we break the lease we have signed before even moving in
JA: Has the landlord been willing to address the situation? If not, what reason is being given?
Customer: they cut out a hole in the ceiling previously but did not address the situation that caused the mold leaking toilet from above so now it has come back worse then before. these are college apt
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: a call was made to the health dept in dekalb and they said all they could do was call the landlord and tell them to fix it. Not sure if I believe this to be true
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thanks this is fine

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Before breaking the lease and vacating, a tenant would need to provide the landlord with written notice and give them a chance to cure. In this case, they would need to remove the mold and repair/cure the issue. Now, if they fail to do so and the mold is harmful/toxic, the rental would not be habitable and there would be a legal basis to vacate. If you wanted to have evidence to support your actions, you could call a 3rd party company to come out and assess it and determine what it is and the cost of repair and the severity of it and present that to the landlord as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!