Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I actually have a few questions. I just got into a bit of a

Customer Question

I actually have a few questions. I just got into a bit of a scuffle with my landlord
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: my lease is a 12 month contract, that is month to month
JA: Landlord-tenant law varies by city and state. Where is the property located?
Customer: jersey city nj
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. What did you need help with today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are NJ landlords supposed to provide a refrigerator?
My landlord advertised the kitchen with refrigerator included but it doesn't work. I have been living here since MAy 1st...she gave us a small refrigerator to put in our rooms but they're small and some of my food has gone bad because I have to sit it on top of the refrigerator. She's been saying for months that she with fix the refrigerator in the kitchen so I sent her a message today saying when the refrigerator is replaced I will pay a reduced rent from when it was supposed to be fixed (MAy 1st)...and in 14 days if there is no new refrigerator I will order a new one and have it delievered and deduct the total from the following month's rent...am I right in this decision?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She told me I have a room not a shared apartment so she doesn't have to get it fixed because she gave us a small refrigerator (that she was charging us $10/month by the way) and that if I take the route of replacing it then she'll evict me
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, I live in a two family house. MY landlord and her daughter live on the top floor. Their oven doesn't work so everyday they come use our oven but we can't even get a refrigerator. I told her she is not allowed in here unless she's showing the apartment or fixing a repair and she said she doesn't have to give notice to come in because this is not my house and its in my contract that she can come in whenever. I told her that NJ trumps her contract. We don't even have a key to the door to our apartment