How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There was a fire in my house in Port Richey, because of the

Customer Question

Hello, there was a fire in my house in Port Richey, because of the negligence of my tenants, who admit the act, I have no insurance for the house, I want to sue my tenants to pay the cost of fire damage, what are my chances of winning such a case. With thanks and blessings, Sarah Mor
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I agree, how do I pay? I have a possibility, or through PayPal or transfer the amount from my bank account in the United States to your account, thank you
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No document was submitted, I need to know first of all what my chances are, before I start any process
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 days ago.

Hi Sarah,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Since the tenants admit that they were careless and that's what caused the fire, your likelihood of winning a judgment against them is high. You can use any texts or emails you have from them where they admitted it, or if they told you, you can repeat what they said.

The bigger question though, is will you be able to collect a judgment? That's the more important question. That depends on the financial resources of the tenant and the extent of the damage. A judgment in Florida is good for 10 years, and it can be renewed forever until it's paid in full. It may be possible to garnish their wages, but it depends on whether they have kids.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 days ago.

Do you have any questions about this?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions