Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I have a rental property in North Carolina. My cousin lives

Customer Question

I have a rental property in North Carolina. My cousin lives there and we have a month to month agreement. He allowed his girlfriend to stay there and she is not on the lease. I was ok with it b/c there were no issues. Well recently they got in a fight and she put a restraining order on him. Now we don't know who needs to leave the residence.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Just the standard verbiage to keep the home in order
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. There is an actual written and signed agreement but nothing discusses unauthorized tenants
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 3 months ago.

did she get exclusive possession on the restraining order?

was he ordered out of the property?