Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Trying to grasp a Tenant versus Occupier distinction

Customer Question

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

A tenant is someone who pays rent, in exchange for living on/in the property. There is typically a tenancy and as long as they pay the rent, they can stay, until the lease expires or until it is terminated by one party. An occupier is more of a guest. Someone who does not pay rent but lives there or asked to stay for a period of time.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!