Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I moved in with a friend of mine back in January, we had an

Customer Question

I moved in with a friend of mine back in January, we had an oral agreement that we would split all bills (mortgage, electricity, water etc...) everything has been fine until about a week ago. My friend (the lady I moved in with) informed me she was going to be moving back to her parents soon. She mentioned that she didn't think it would be a problem for me to just pick up the payments myself and continue staying there. Last night she comes to me and says that I need to be out this Sunday when she leaves and that she doesn't have to give me 30 days because I wasn't on the original lease and because the lady she rents from would like to sell it. Which I would rather buy a house then rent one anyways so i then reached out to the landlord and informed her that I would like to buy the house. Which she says awesome but that I would need to move out Sunday until everything is final with purchasing the house since they don't have contract/agreement with me. If this is the case do I not have 30 days? Can they really just kick me out Sunday? What are my rights in the situation?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 13 days ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 13 days ago.

Which state?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Texas
Expert:  Loren replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Without a written lease you a re a month to month tenant and can not be evicted without first being given 30 days' notice.

If your friend tries to lock you out they are liable for unlawful eviction.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not her nor the landlord? correct?
Expert:  Loren replied 13 days ago.

Correct.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Does the notice have to be written?
Expert:  Loren replied 13 days ago.

Yes, it must be in writing.