S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

I paid my first last and deposit. I have lived in the house

Customer Question

I paid my first last and deposit. I have lived in the house for 3 years but moved out I told my Landlord I would be moved out on the 15th however it took longer then the 15th and didn't turn the place over to him till June 27th. He is saying that I basically had the place for the whole month so there is no credit coming back?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Vancouver Washington
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: yes I just got the statement of deposit and there was some minor damage that totaled more then the $500.00 deposit.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I handed the keys over on the 27th wouldn't I be entightled to 3 days of credit for my last month pre paid rent? Also I thought in the State of Washington the landlord had 14 days to gets you the damage costs etc?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 14 days ago.

It is actually 21 days that the landlord has to provide you with the security deposit, not 14. I agree that you are entitled to three days of credit since you moved out on the 27th, not the 30th. If the landlord refuses to return that money to you and you can prove you moved out on the 27th, you could sue him in small claims court for a return of your unused deposit. Do you have any other questions?