Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I have received a letter from a collection agent for a

Customer Question

I have received a letter from a collection agent for a property that I have never resided at or signed a lease for. I don't know how they got my information but am told there exists a civil case. How do I stop this.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New York
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There is no lease. I've never lived there. I believe it is fraud.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 days ago.

You can send the collection agent a letter disputing the validity of the debt and to cease and desist contacting you about this debt.

If they continue harassing you then report them to your state attorney general:

NY CONSUMER FRAUD COMPLAINT