Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a tenant that keepa calling the city and animal

Customer Question

I have a tenant that keepa calling the city and animal control and other law enforcements on me and other tenants on the property we own. Hes constantly complaining and trying to make my life a living hell with being so diffcult. My question is is it illegeal to go outside of the property with marking paint for plans to put a Picket fence on the outside border of the lawn around his house. Now he is telling me that I trespassed passed on his property . Also he said the markings are vandalism . I feel like I'm allowed to do that since I own the property and he does not , plus we would inform him before we would construct a fence on the yard, but he still is saying im violating his rights? Help! Im at wits end with him and i really dont know what to do about this . He also hired a construction company without my knowledge today to get an estimate on how he would want the fence and bill us later when he necer asked my permission to hire a company to build on my property.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you !

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You cannot be charged with trespass on your own property. Unless, I am misunderstanding your post, the Tenant cannot dictate what you can do or not do on your property so long as you are not invading the Tenant's privacy by coming to the property unannounced. Also, the Tenant CANNOT do any work on your property without your permission. So, you need to send notice to the contractors to inform them that the person who is trying to hire them is your Tenant and has not authority to bind you to any contract. Finally, you should send a formal notice to the Tenant that he must not do any work on your property without prior consent. Otherwise, the Tenant would be charged for any damages to your property.

Best wishes,