Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Los Angeles city. I

Customer Question

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Los Angeles city. I moved here several months ago, my girlfriend has lived here 17 years. Her old roommate, Julia, moved out of the two bedroom apartment before I moved in. The owners of the building today said I would have fill out an application and pay an application fee. My credit rating is excellent (790fico). Under normal conditions I think everything would be okay, but the owners are trying to get rid of old tenets. There is an only two of the six units occupied. They paid other tenets to move. Should I ignore the landlord? Should I pay them?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Los Angeles ca, it is rent controls.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Landon Lerner replied 12 days ago.

By ignoring the landlord you risk adverse action in the form of an unlawful detainer (eviction action). If the application fee is minimal, sometimes it is best to avoid the conflict. Just because you've lived there does not mean the building cannot ask you to fill out proper paperwork.