Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in Indiana. I have a rental property attached to my

Customer Question
My name is ***** *****...

My name is ***** ***** I live in Indiana. I have a rental property attached to my business. I have rented it out on a year lease to 3 individuals. A son of the leasee invited a felon to stay there without my permission. My lease states anyone over 15 days needs approval. The tenants broke their agreement and moved out with a u haul. In the process hitting the building and forcing me to make a claim which I sent to my insurance company because I didn't want to deal with it. Anyway, that is how I found out they were moving out and breaking the lease which started in March of this year. So all 3 tenants have moved out, except the friend of the son. We have called the police and they ordered him to leave. He did. This is my legal question......he has numerous u haul boxes and an entire large room filled to the brim with stuff. We cannot re rent until all of this is removed. We have called the police again after finding drug paraphernalia in the room which they kinda didn't care. They told me to call a lawyer to ask legally what to do with his stuff. I have 2 phone numbers which the police gave me. I tried calling but no luck. What am I suppose to do?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I stated that it was in Indiana and it is happening now
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just police reports
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Michael Bradley

this was the stuff of the illegal felon person not on the lease?

tenants have removed all their possessions. Remaining items are of the person who was never on the lease

you have no legal relationship with him so arguably no legal duty to preserve or protect his crap for lack of a better word. However, you may want to avoid a legal suit in the future. I would leave messages on the two phone numbers that the police gave you assuming that they are numbers that are valid and a message can be left. I would give him 48 hours to contact you to make arrangements to remove the stuff or it's going to be thrown out. If both of the numbers are bad and there is no way to contact him, I do not think you have any other choice but to dispose of his stuff. I am sure some people may say that you to buy a storage facility and then hold on to his stuff but this person is essentially a squatter of which you owe no legal duty to and I would be comfortable with the advice that you can simply toss the stuff and change the locks. That would be after trying to contact him by phone and leaving him a message. If the numbers are bad I don't know what choice you have at that point.

You stated that I may want to avoid a legal situation in the future...what could that be? I will take your advice and try contact with documentation again. I appreciate your advice and thank you for your time
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer