How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2933
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a renter and the basement has flooded for the second

Customer Question

I am a renter and the basement has flooded for the second time - the management company is not offering to get the water out, The water is rain water and when it rains hard - it seeps through the foundation. Are they responsible?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no - just happened last night from the heavy rains
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 9 days ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 9 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the landlord is required to provide a place that is habitable to their tenants under the implied warranty of habitability. Their failure to do so could lead to civil damages. In your case, it is clear that the basement being flooded on more than one occasion suggests that this is an unliviable space currently and the landlord is required to make it livable. If they do not get the water out, you have a couple of options: 1. you can pay to have the water removed on your own and seek reimbursement from the landlord; 2. you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation; 3. You may also withhold the rent until the place becomes habitable as well.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 9 days ago.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions