Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I am a renter and the basement has flooded for the second

Customer Question

I am a renter and the basement has flooded for the second time - the management company is not offering to get the water out, The water is rain water and when it rains hard - it seeps through the foundation. Are they responsible?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no - just happened last night from the heavy rains
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 9 days ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the landlord is required to provide a place that is habitable to their tenants under the implied warranty of habitability. Their failure to do so could lead to civil damages. In your case, it is clear that the basement being flooded on more than one occasion suggests that this is an unliviable space currently and the landlord is required to make it livable. If they do not get the water out, you have a couple of options: 1. you can pay to have the water removed on your own and seek reimbursement from the landlord; 2. you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation; 3. You may also withhold the rent until the place becomes habitable as well.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?