Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I pushed the wrong button and lost you Anyway, in, 5601 No

Customer Question
I pushed the wrong button...
I pushed the wrong button and lost you Anyway, in
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 5601 No 37th St TacomaWA 98407
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Signed a one year lease in Feb. The sugar ant problems have been extraordinary since and several times we have had to go to a hotel We have faithfully paid our lease We have sent letters and receipts yo corporate We respectfully ***** ***** we expect compensation Still a problem and almost half our lease.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We expect payment of our hotel bills and some free rent I told Pinnacle. I still have our bed in the middle of our bedroom. Ants on the walls and baseboards
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/16/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Does your lease address any infestation issues? What is the response from the landlord?

Unfortunately in our move we misplaced our lease 40 years in my home We are searching for it The response we received was corporate wanted us to send our hotel receipts to them again with the response of, not because we will pay it but just to watch whats going on

I understand. Generally if the lease sets out terms that both landlord and tenant agree to the language in the lease is the governing law.

It sounds as though corporate agreed to pay the hotel costs. Was the an issue resolved and how much money are you trying to collect from the landlord/corporate?

In the meantime I will pull up the law that governs the landlord's duty to the tenant in these situations.

"Landlords are obligated under state law to manage infestations in rental units, with an exception: in single family residences and in cases where the infestation is caused by the tenant. Infestations are considered repair issues and tenants should follow the Steps to Request a Repair. If possible, document the infestation with photographs of signs of the infestation." http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/pest-infestations

I have more for you.

Is this a single family residence or an apartment?

The landlord must have a program in place to deal with infestation issues. https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.060

Can you tell me the amount you are looking for to be reimbursed?

Are you online with me?

It is an apartment and I have documented with videos and pictures and what I call my ant diary. The infestation has been very bad and since March our bed has been inconviently in the middle of the room. Although it is better there is a colony in the outside wall of the bedroom they can't seem to deal with because of the insulation. They offered me $500.00. I said no. I want 3 months of rent and the hotel bill. That's where I am at. I said don't include the water, sewer, etc.

If they will not reimburse you for your costs you would bring an action in small claims court. Let me provide a link for Attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations. Perhaps a letter or phone call from your attorney would suffice. One moment please.

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/landlord-tenant/tacoma/washington

Please also contact the health department as the landlord/management company is forbidden from retaliating against you for filing a legitimate complaint. Thank you for using JA!

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney