Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

Second opinion] Is the landlord required to provide access

Customer Question

Second opinion] Is the landlord required to provide access to mailbox?JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?Customer: Temecula, CAJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: We have filed eviction and case is to be heard tomorrow. I have a feeling he thinks he has a case because we did not furnish him with a key to the mailbox. By the time we got the key back from the previous tenant, we had already given him notice to pay or leave.JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: He said he lost his job, his disability check he did not get, wife left him after moved in. Also, we did not get a security deposit because he said he would provide solar to our water well.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

The short answer is yes you were required to provide access to a mailbox. However, in my opinion, it is not a defense to not paying rent. Further, you have a valid explanation. You did not have the key upon his entry into the property as the previous tenant did not leave it upon moving out. Now, it is an issue of non-payment. Normally disability checks are direct deposited so I do not but that he did not get it.