Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My daughter co-signed for my grandaughter and her husband to

Customer Question

My daughter co-signed for my grandaughter and her husband to rent an apartment in So. Portland, ME. My grandaughter needs to leave due to domestic violance. How does this affect her and my daughter in regards ***** ***** money owed?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Maine
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I don't have a copy of the lease and I don't believe there are any issues with maintenance or upkeep
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter's situation.

Under Maine law, someone who commits domestic violence against a tenant is liable for the tenant's rent, moving expenses, and attorney's fees. Title 14, Section 6010. If your granddaughter moves out, her husband is liable for everything. She will need to get a police report or restraining order so there is evidence of the domestic violence to show the landlord.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?