LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

Last week a neighbor that lives below me knocked on my door

Customer Question

Last week a neighbor that lives below me knocked on my door and told me it was leaking water I told him I would go check I was washing dishes at the time I turned off the water walked to my neighbors and sure enough it was leaking from the ceiling he said this is the 4th time its happened in 2 years in different places. So I called the landlord when he showed up with the repair man he thought it was the dishwasher but the only thing he could think of is that the bolts that hold in the garbage disposal didn't have any so it wasn't locked into place. He also lectured me about only trash going in the garbage disposal because he found a small piece of glass maybe 1 inch and pieces of steak. He told the plumber to just replace the garbage disposal and then charged me. Can he do that?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. Does the lease address repairs and the cost, if it is below X amount? Also, was it determined that this was through your fault or was it a result of the way in which the disposal was installed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Plumber said it was determined it was because of missing bolts and the neighbor mentioned its happened 3 times prior to me moving in once there and twice in other places. So how would I challenge his request of payment. Write a letter?

Thank you. Based upon the lease, it would indicate and they may argue, that the cost of repair would fall on you. However, if this was a result of something that existed PRIOR to you taking possession and this happened 3 times prior and the landlord was aware and failed to correct it, you could argue that this was NOT your fault nor should you be liable and pay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if that's the case Is there a name for that type of response so I can get a template online

There is no name, per se. You can respond to the landlord and advise you are not liable nor will pay for this and it was not caused by your own fault or neglect and was present, prior to moving in and never corrected.