Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord has been pressuring me to have rent by 1 of

month. Her lease stipulates rent...
My landlord has been pressuring me to have rent by 1 of month. Her lease stipulates rent is due by 1 of month and late after 5 of month.Can she attempt to retaliate if rent is arrived by 2-5 of month ? Can she withhold deposit ?
6/6/2017
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

The lease controls the relationship and if no late fee is imposed until the 5th, then you have until midnight on the 5th to pay rent with no penalty.

.

So no, she can't retaliate or withhold your deposit should you move elsewhere.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. As a landlord is she merely pressuring tenants to pay as early as possible, although as tenant I have no legal obligation to do so?

Correct. She can claim you have paid rent late every time you are past the 1st, but she can't hit you with a late fee until after the 5th.

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney