How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The owner of the apartment that I live in shut off my

This answer was rated:

The owner of the apartment that I live in shut off my electricity.
I don´t have electricity for a month in my apartment and I'm taking my landlord to court. I have emailed them that they turned off my electricity and that I do not have electricity, so I have a way to prove it in court. However, how can I get deeper proof to show in court what they are doing?
The electricity company said all they can do is show that I paid my balances on their end and they said I should get a licensed electrician to maybe write a letter saying that.
So, are there any other ways to prove that I haven´t had electricity in a few weeks and I currently don´t have electricity?Thank you

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a California attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

One of the best ways to prove this is to have the electric company send you a copy of your usage for this time, if it is available. You should take your usage from when the electricity was one vs. when it was off to show that it's been off. Don't forget that your oral testimony will also be just as useful to prove and any documents you provide will only supplement it. Also, the landlord will be under oath so he cannot lie and say that he did not take these actions. Now that I think about it, you may be able to get your usage report from the electric company's website. Many times they show your daily usage and you can maybe you can get the documentation without even having to contact them.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi sir. Thanks for the answer. My honest opinion is that might no be enough. What if i was just on vacation or living somewhere else? Then my electricity would also be very low.
I dont think your suggestion proves much

Hello, I can understand your concern, but please keep in mind that the court will make the final determination as to what is adequate. I can give you my most professional and honest, experienced opinion, but that will get you to a certain point. In the end, I think you'll win.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just don't think your suggestion will work. I apologize. But i cant take risks
Understood. Let me opt out of this question and see if another expert can provide a better suggestion.

If the landlord claims electricity is low becomes the apartment was vacant, the landlord, as the party alleging that, would have the burden of proving that issue;

also if one is employed, or has local receipts from the market for example, those can be introduced to show physical presence in the area.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience: Just Answer consultant at Self employed
legalgems and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you