LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

Just got a lease last week, the tenants are being charged

Customer Question

Just got a lease last week , the tenants are being charged with first degree murder. They paid 2 months in advance. What do I do with the 2 months rent money? I am a property management company. The owner wants to break lease now
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: 12 month lease , they must keep property in good condition.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They left behind a 17 yr old girl still in property , has no income that could pay rent and since not 18 lease cannot go on her name
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can contact children's services about the minor child living alone in the unit, the fact that the tenants have been charged with a crime does not give the landlord the legal right to terminate the lease---unless such a clause allowing such is set out in the lease agreement.

If they paid for 2 month's rent in advance, you will have to wait and see if they pay rent as owed when it is next due, and if not, then you may start the legal process to eviction. In the meantime, you have your rent payments, a valid lease and there is nothing you can do in terms of eviction---again---unless the lease agreement gives you that right.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug