Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

After vacating a dwelling, who is responsible for painting

Customer Question

After vacating a dwelling, who is responsible for painting costs? the landlord or the former tenant?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Its a boiler plate lease, it does not mention painting explicitly. I'm wondering if painting is considered part of normal wear and tear
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

There is no legal obligation that the landlord repaint the premises between tenants, unless it is a specific provision of the lease.

Likewise, a tenant is not liable for the costs of repainting unless the repainting is necessary due to damage of the walls by the tenant.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!