How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is renting an apartment, his behavior changed when

Customer Question

sir my son is renting an apartment, his behavior changed when his daughter was born and he has become nasty towards me and he came o me today and told me that I have to either pay his half his rent or he would put me in a assisted living place because I have COPD. Is he by law allowed to change his arrangements?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Az.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He just renewed his lease where he is leaving, with me he had not asked for any help until today, I have helped his with his electric and internet plus grocerys.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My health is critical, I am in need of a lung transplant.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.

You have no legal obligation to pay half your son's rent. If he leaves his apartment in the middle of the lease, he could be responsible for rent until a new tenant is found. You don't have to pay that either.

Call Arizona Adult Protective Services. Your son cannot put you in assisted living over your objection, and the law protects you. This is financial exploitation, and it's illegal.

It's also a form of extortion, and you could report your son to police.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?