barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am renting a room in a house for $800/month (no contract).

Customer Question

I am renting a room in a house for $800/month (no contract). I lost my job. I am a month and a half behind in rent. what is the eviction process in this situation?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Renton, Washington
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know what to expect and how much time I have before I have to be out of here?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

The landlord starts by giving you a written 3 day notice to pay rent or vacate. If you can't do so within that 3 day period, the landlord can then file an unlawful detainer action with the Superior court clerk.

.

The clerk sets a hearing date and the landlord is responsible for having you served by the sheriff or constable. At the hearing date, the judge will hear from both sides and then issue an order granting the landlord a judgment and issuing a writ of execution for any delinquent rent and costs including reasonable attorney's fees..

.

After the writ is issued, landlord can have the sheriff serve it on you 5 days later and forcibly evict you if you haven't vacated.

.

So from the time the 3 day is delivered to when the landlord can have the sheriff force you to leave it will be about a month..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pretty clear. I think I have an understanding of the process. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. Let me know if you have any further questions..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much