Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My kitchen was flooded 2 months ago by upstairs neighbor.

Customer Question

My kitchen was flooded 2 months ago by upstairs neighbor. The landlord and property manager have just gotten around to the renovations . I have been without a kitchen or water for a week now. I would like to know if the landlord/prop Mgr are responsible for temporary
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: My kitchen was flooded by upstairs neighbors 2 months ago. The landlord and property manager have just started renovations. I have been without a kitchen or water fora week. I would like to know if the landlord and property manager have any responsibility to temporarily relocate me until job is fished or waive the rent for one or two months for my inconvenience?
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Standard
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The landlord/manager are liable for either reducing your rent for the days your premises is not habitable or paying for you to stay somewhere else until the property is habitable again. If the landlord refuses to pay either one to you, then you have grounds to sue in small claims court to recover your costs of having to live elsewhere while the premises is not habitable.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.