Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Under Ms. law if renter/owner has no contract does owner

Customer Question

Under Ms. law if renter/owner has no contract does owner still have to follow evec. rules to make renter move out?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, they do. Verbal rental agreements are legal, enforceable, and entitled to all the same protections from unlawful eviction as a written contract. A landlord who evicts a tenant without going to court could be sued for damages. The tenant could also seek a court order allowing them to re-enter the premises, which would force the landlord to go to court to get a lawful eviction.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What if the renter is stealing from you and destroying the property

The answer is unfortunately the same. The tenant's security deposit can be applied toward the cost of repairs, and the tenant can be sued for any additional damage. But they must be given a notice and taken to court.

Do you have any questions about this?