Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Second opinion] can i get rent reimbursal for last wk due to

Customer Question

Second opinion] can i get rent reimbursal for last wk due to early vacating and landlord entry without permission?JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?Customer: hawaiiJA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?Customer: only a 28 day termination clause, stating i give 28 days notice and pay for 28 days rent. i gave landlord 30 days notice and paid that amount.JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: they only offered to reimburse for 2 days (the 28 days), they trespassed on the 23rd of month, they entered to do cleaning and other prep for new tenent without my permission, i gave keys on the 26th,( a sign of termination per contrsct)) and was out the day of 26th, i want reimbursal from the 23rd due to there early entry and my early vacating. this is in accordance with 2011 Hawaii code, division 3 521-66 "Tenents right to refund of rent, etc, on termination
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you can. If the Landlord refuses to refund, you can file a Small Claim against the Landlord at your local Courthouse. See Hawaii Revised Statutes Title 68 Chapter 521 Section 521-66.