LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

A resident told us he took a job out of town and would be

Customer Question

A resident told us he took a job out of town and would be moving. He didn't pay the rent for May, and said he was getting paid soon, but didn't pay the rent. We posted a 3-Day Pay or Quit at the same time as a 48-Hour Notice of Abandonment, as it appears he took the essentials, though he left some belonging and a huge amount of trash and damages.
Question - do we have to store what it taken out of the home for 30 days?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Have you had any contact with him? Have you tried to reach him regarding whatever it is, he left behind? What is still in the rental?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we've texted him (our usual method of communication) but have not heard back from him.

Thank you. You may just want to act in and protect your own interest and store the items, so that he can not return and argue you did not properly evict him and take back possession of the rental and that he still remained. If he did leave property there, is is questionable as to why but if you think he vacated and did send him notice to retrieve these other items and he fails to do so, after 30 days, you could show a good faith effort was made to reach him and see if he would be retrieving them. You can certainly throw out and trash and start making repairs, if you think he vacated but should protect yourself and give him 30 days if possible, to retrieve there, once notice was sent.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!