Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I'm renting a trailer from a guy who claims to be the

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I'm renting a trailer from a guy who claims to be the owner's agent. Just found out the owner died 9 years ago. The agent has been receiving $1200 in cash from me for 8 months. He tells me the owner lives in Florida and he's doing him a favor. What are my rights
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oceanside, California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The terms are simple. No mention of upkeep or maintenance. It took him three months to fix a major leak in the foyer and my bedroom.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know what my rights are and if I can qualify for squatters rights
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

Are there any major problems now that need to be fixed that affect the habitability of the dwelling (i.e. plumbing backups, electrical problems, mold, roof leaks, etc.)?

.

And you have actually been paying rent to this person all this time, correct?

.

Does the deceased own the land the trailer is on or is it in a trailer park?

.

How long have you lived there in total?

.

.

thanks