barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Question I cosigned a one yer lease agreement with a friend

Customer Question

Question
I cosigned a one yer lease agreement with a friend Near the end of lease 30 days before expired i wwrote a letter to housing mangement that i was not renewing my lease. I took the termination lease letter in person into office office staff accepted the notice. At no time was iinformed tht the letter had to be notorized. Now one half monthlater they are telling me that the letter has to be notorized stting that the other co signer has to accept responsibility of apartment. I am currently stillon the lease and that its a ohiolaw for notice tobe notorized I have never heard of this. Is this a legal requiremnt in state of ohio Cuyahoga county
Please advise
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: shaker heights ohio
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: regular one year lease pay water bill upkeep property and lawn
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

I am currently stillon the lease and that its a ohiolaw for notice tobe notorized I have never heard of this. Is this a legal requiremnt in state of ohio Cuyahoga county

.

Absolutely not and they are simply lying to you. There is no statutory requirement under Ohio law that any termination notice be notarized, witnessed, sealed, or anything else. As long as it is in writing, signed and dated by the tenant, it is valid.

.

So they are simply trying to convince you that you are still liable under whatever new lease the remaining tenant entered into.

.

If you are under a fixed term lease, when it expires, that is it. You either renew the lease, go month to month, or move out and vacate. If the landlord didn't have the roommate sign a new lease, then that tenancy would have converted to a month to month tenancy when the original one expired unless there was an automatic renewal clause in it.

.

So I would opine that your letter to them terminated any legal obligation that you might have had once the fixed term lease expired.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much