Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

I have a rental house in a state where the state has just

Customer Question

I have a rental house in a state where the state has just started a pro bono legal representation program on civil matters for military personnel. My tenants are military family: military husband, stay-home wife, and three children. They toured the house before signing the lease. Later, the wife said the rental house was uninhabitable when they moved in. Although I have had professional cleaners cleaned the house, I offered to send cleaners over again. She didn't provide access and said she would let her attorney talk to me first. My tenants continue living in the house. A few months later their pro bono attorney send me demanding letter asking for money and saying the house was uninhabitable.I called the city to see if my tenants filed complains about house being uninhabitable, and was told if my tenants filed complains I should be notified by the city already. I've never been notified.
My question is should my tenants' pro bono attorney ask my tenants if they filed uninhabitable complain with the city, and ask to see related complain paperwork? Thanks.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You can make the request of the attorney. However, the tenants have the right to know in what way the house is uninhabitable and to inspect the condition for yourself. You can check with the city to see if they filed a complaint, you do not need to rely on the pro bono attorney.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the response. Please let me to clarify: I wondered what typically an attorney or a pro bono attorney would do before he sends out a demanding letter, if a tenant told him that the rental house was uninhabitable? Would the attorney or the pro bono attorney just write what the tenant told him in a demanding letter without requesting or asking about if the tenant has contacted the city first? Thanks.

He would not ask if they had contacted the city first. He would ask about the nature of the issues that make it uninhabitable. You can inspect the premises and determine for yourself if it is uninhabitable and get the tenant to tell you the basis for their position. If you disagree, you tell them that or if there is a resolvable issue resolve it. The view and inquiry by the attorney is not of particular importance as you can find out all the information you need yourself.