Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Facing to be eviced on the 12. can u help me please, texas

Customer Question
facing to be eviced on...
facing to be eviced on the 12. can u help me please
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: texas apt. was on housing they did not pay there part of rent for april and may the put note on door saying i owe 2,261.16 can you please let me know what to do willing to make arrangements
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: please help just lost my dad have to make a trip to new orleans for furneal on the 11 which is thursday please can u help me work 2 jobs come from hurricane katrina just trying to start over lost everything
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: say had someone living here they go to school
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/10/2017
Lawyer: Amadeo Rivera,
 replied 6 months ago
Amadeo Rivera

Hi, my name is Marcelo. I have practiced for 17 years and have done a lot of Landlord/Tenant law. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to "force" a settlement. If rent is not paid, for any reason, at all, even if one day late, Texas law sides with the landlord and he/she is under no obligation to make payment arrangements. That being said, you can drag out the process. First, you need to file a "motion for continuance" with the court. Usually, the JP courts have forms you just fill in. Call the court and speak with the civil clerk. Most JP courts will grant a tenant one continuance, but that is only 5 days. Then, when you go to trial, which will last all of 5 - 10 minutes, you can be sure, you will lose, but you can appeal. The JP Courts are always very helpful with pro-se tenants in helping them to appeal. The point is, that although the law favors landlords, the law allows a tenant to draw out the eviction process, which often results in the landlord agreeing to some sort of settlement on the terms.

Lawyer: Amadeo Rivera,
 replied 6 months ago

if you found my answer helpful, please accept the same and provide positive feedback so I can get paid. If not, please advise so I can be more helpful.

Amadeo Rivera
Amadeo Rivera
Amadeo Rivera