Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I have a question regarding breaking a lease I just resigned

Customer Question

I have a question regarding breaking a lease I just resigned with my landlord as of April 1, 2017. She is requiring me to pay for the remained of the rent up to March 31, 2018. Is this legal?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Charlotte, NC. 28210
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Terms are straight forward, a thirty day notice if relocating. The maintenance is handled by the landlords handyman. Overall the unit is left in good condition.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Their is a criminal case pending between myself and my ex-girlfriend which caused this situation to transpire. I will explain more in detail with the lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.
Can you sublet or can landlord find a tenant in your place?