Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My landlord has created an environment which has made me

Customer Question

my landlord has created an environment which has made me uncomfortable staying where I rent. I've had to stay anywhere but home to avoid her. what can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: florida
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: no. I've had plumbing issues twice since I moved in. it's an old property but each time the landlord has claimed it was my fault. I've never treated the plumbing inappropriately. always standard use. I've been gone for 3 weeks at a time and get home a week or two later and the toilet can't be flushed and the shower is backing up. the second time I had the problem the landlord knocked on my door and told me I had clearly a large sock or something alike down the toilet. I was very clear that I have nor ever would do anything like that. she says her husband is furious with me because he had to spend so much time snaking the pipe. she's gone so far as to try and humiliate me in front of my neighbors both in front of me and behind my back. I'm not even comfortable stay here because I never know when she is going to show up and accuse me destroying her property. I don't know what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.
Are you asking if you can end tenancy or pursue a claim?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All I want is not even necessarily to even be comfortable coming home. I don't want to be called a liar loud enough for my neighbors to hear it, even it was true. I don't want my new neighbors feel like they have to come and tell me that the landlord showed up today and is accusing of me of all kinds of crazy stuff that even my new cute little couple next door felt obligated to come and tell me what the landlord is saying about me
You are entitled to quiet enjoyment. If landlord won't do so you may have a lawyer send a letter. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. If needed If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.
Is that helpful?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately your response wasn't helpful to me. My current situation has nothing to with a quiet environment. Even since you responded to me she has once again showed up out of normal business hours banging on my door. My response was I'm not opening the door for you right now. You have no legal or otherwise right to be here unannounced at this time of the evening expecting me to invite you in to my personal dwelling that I pay you for every month on time. I told her that her brand new tenants living next right next door to me approached me and told me what she was saying about me in a negative manner to them and truth be told at that point we've only made cordial introductions. When I refused to let her in she put her key in the door. I said go ahead and open this door right now if you choose but we both know you would be breaking the law. I told her it was her choice. She chose not to enter my dwelling. Some time later I step out my front door and there is my landlord holding up her phone announcing she is recording this. I stated I'm glad she is recording and I would like her to continue. At that point I told her that her newest tenants had a friend that felt obligated to let me know that my landlord was telling people that I am purposely ruining the plumbing in my unit, etc. she has literally made me feel so uncomfortable I get nervous about coming home to gather my laundry and leaving because she will see me and create some kind of completely crazy scene. As I type this I'm not at home because I don't want to deal with her issues.
You can file a police report and seek a restraining order. That is an alternative and free approach.
That can supplement civil action you may file for relief.
I am very sorry you are experiencing this.