Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am dealing with a small claims suit where the past tenant

Customer Question

I am dealing with a small claims suit where the past tenant is demanding full (10K) maximum allowed in small claims for my not returning the full $7500 deposit based on his assertion of bad faith withholding. I have tried to work out the dispute with him prior to this suit, both reducing the amounts (withheld $1800 and then lowered to ~$1400) and giving him opportunities to repair certain damages that were made (hot tub cover, cut cables and handle off) and felt we were moving towards a place of agreement until he finally recanted his offers to meet me part way and demanded nearly all of the deposit back.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Berkeley
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, did not maintain hot tub as agreed so need several repairs. Did not professionally clean unit as agreed based on permitting him to have a small dog. Later found out he had a cat as well. He removed all of the fire detectors and I needed to replace them all. and he stored chemicals in a cabinet drawer that became dry rotted and fell apart so need to be replaced.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did you send him an itemized list of damages within 21 days of him vacating?

.

What is your legal question that I can help with?

.

.

thanks